Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Sometimes bad luck is good!

Sometimes bad luck is good! 14 Jun 2018 14:39 #1

• Bob Stephens
  • Gold Carver
  • Thank you received: 50
  • Honor Medal 2015
So three weeks ago our HP FB950 flatbed printer caught on fire due to a lightning strike to the pole coming into our building. The printer is seven years old and on its last leg due to HP no longer offering any support or parts which makes it a $150,000 paper weight. For the past year I had been looking at new printers to replace it with.

As it turns out, our insurance coverage will replace it with any printer of our choice up to $130,000. I just ordered a brand new Mimaki JFX500-2131, a true flatbed printer that's capable of printing (20) 4'x8' full color boards an hour. The color and speed are incredible and I also opted for the white ink also. That means I can print direct on any color. I really like incorporating digital images with my dimensional signs.

So that's my good bad news :nana:

Sometimes bad luck is good! 20 Jun 2018 06:48 #2

• John Miller
  • Platinum Carver
  • Thank you received: 61
  • Honor Medal 2015
Wow Bob, what a great story!! Definitely beats mine. We lost power for four days during Katrina. The heads on my Roland printer all dried up.
My insurance paid almost 15k to rebuild the machine. I like your story better, congratulations.
Someday every things gonna be different... When I paint my masterpiece
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bob Stephens

Sometimes bad luck is good! 28 Jun 2018 12:48 #3

• Bob Stephens
  • Gold Carver
  • Honor Medal 2015
Well after a week, the new printer is finally installed and training finished yesterday. But.. I just couldn't help myself. It looked rather plain and I felt it should have a personal touch. About twenty minutes to design, eight minutes to print and ten minutes to install. Just printed cardboard but it really makes an impact :0
Attachments:

Sometimes bad luck is good! 28 Jun 2018 12:53 #4

• John Miller
  • Platinum Carver
  • Honor Medal 2015
Bob, will you be doing any trade work with your new machine?

Sometimes bad luck is good! 28 Jun 2018 13:55 #5

• Bob Stephens
  • Gold Carver
  • Honor Medal 2015
John,
I've considered it but will have to figure out if its worth it or not. Hardest part is maintaining color accuracy from client files. I'm just starting to do some research in that area. That's what I've been dealing with all day. Trying to get accurate Pantone colors to print on all the different media.

Sometimes bad luck is good! 28 Jun 2018 20:37 #6

• John Miller
  • Platinum Carver
  • Honor Medal 2015
I know what you mean Bob. I'm planning a project which would be six vertical 4x8 panels. No crucial pms colors, just a small billboard style sign.
Your printer would do a brilliant job. What is the exterior longevity, east/west facing sign?

Sometimes bad luck is good! 27 Jul 2018 23:14 #7

• James Dawson
  • Platinum Carver
  • Thank you received: 54
  • Honor Medal 2015
let me know how the white pans out. I have yet to see a machine under $200,000 that can keep white heads from clogging and becoming unusable.
Time to create page: 0.794 seconds

Please Visit and Support Our Amazing Sponsors