Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: CNC plasma cutters are fun!

CNC plasma cutters are fun! 09 Sep 2017 11:40 #1

• Dan Sawatzky
  • Platinum Carver
  • Thank you received: 44
  • Honor Medal 2015
We never imagined a CNC plasma cutter could be so useful or so much fun. Up to the point we acquired our MultiCam plasma we had outsourced the cutting of our mounting plates on a regular basis to the point it justified getting one. But once we had the machine in our shop we started figuring out a whole lot more tasks for it. We now use the plasma machine more often than our CNC router. We've cut hundreds of 4'x8' sheets of steel on the machine and produced countless brackets and other steel parts to be incorporated into our work. I don't know how we did without the plasma cutter all those years!

I strongly believe every grampa should have a train to share with their grand kids - mine is just a little larger than most. In the evenings and weekends I am working on a riding railroad that will travel 1200 feet around the perimeter of our property. It's been twelve years in the making so far. I am working on a locomotive but the inspection vehicle has been getting the bulk of my attention of late. It's a little 1920's pickup with a side car for the grand child. It is all scratch built from steel. I started it when we got our hand held plasma cutter a number of years ago but in the last month progress has been much more rapid. The truck is largely complete and runs great with a small Honda single cylinder motor in the bed of the truck. I have a few small items to add like the whistle and gauges and then we'll get down to some paint. We'll make it look very old and well used complete with real rust.

With the truck running at last it was time to give a riding trailer some serious though in order to increase capacity for fun. We have a third grand child on the way and lots of grand nephews and nieces who visit regularly. Adults like to ride as well. I had built a boxy riding car for the train but decided to steal the wheels from it and start from scratch on something a little more fun. I did the design a few nights ago and then began to cut the pieces and start fabrication. Last night I finished the wheelset and this weekend will start on the frame and body. By the end of next week we should be ready for a test drive. Then it is time to get the last of the track in place.

Dan Sawatzky
Sawatzky's Imagination Corporation
Yarrow, British Columbia, Canada

www.imaginationcorporation.com

Being a grampa is the most wonderful thing!

CNC plasma cutters are fun! 09 Sep 2017 16:58 #2

• Michael Mezalick
  • Expert Carver
  • Thank you received: 5
  • Honor Medal 2015
Simply awesome..
You're an endless well of inspiration...

Thanks for helping us to keep moving forward.
Michael
3-D Modeling
Request a Quote
www.carveddetails.com

CNC plasma cutters are fun! 09 Sep 2017 23:11 #3

• Dan Sawatzky
  • Platinum Carver
  • Honor Medal 2015
Thanks for the kind word Michael!

Today I got about seven hours of fun time in the shop. I designed, cut and welded up the frame for the riding car. As always I got a little carried away as I worked, continually coming up with little improvements and changes to the design. After measuring things up I made the I-beam channels 5" deep instead of 3" as I was originally planning. The beefiness of the new design adds a lot more character to the little cartoon rig. I also decided the floor of the car would be mesh so the little kids could watch the ground zooming by as we cruised the rails. The cutouts in the floor panel allow viewers to see the complex under carriage as well. Next up is the seat riser and bench. This too will change from the original design and become much more ornate.

This thing is a whole lot of fun!

-grampa dan

Dan Sawatzky

CNC plasma cutters are fun! 11 Sep 2017 12:45 #4

• Gene Uselman
  • Platinum Carver
  • Creative Retiree
  • Thank you received: 38
  • Honor Medal 2015
Wow, just Wow. If any of you can attend one of Dan's classes. Do it, just DO IT. Wayne and I still talk about the one day we were fortunate enough to spend with Dan. Gene :rofl: :nana: :nana: :nana:

CNC plasma cutters are fun! 11 Sep 2017 23:34 #5

• Dan Sawatzky
  • Platinum Carver
  • Honor Medal 2015
Thanks for the kind words Gene. Peter and I will be doing some instruction at the EnRoute Summit in Salt Lake at the end of this month. Here's the link for anyone interested. enroutesoftware.com/enroute-summit-2017 Peter will be doing four step by step lectures on some very cool signs he has in progress which I'll be posting shortly. I'll be doing five lectures on a variety of subjects and projects. We are looking forward to it!

I managed a few more hours on the rail truck and trailer project... substantially finished the trailer save for a few welds and some grinding. I'm going to try and finish this thing by the end of next weekend... I have so many cool projects on the go.
Attachments:
Dan Sawatzky

CNC plasma cutters are fun! 27 Sep 2017 23:32 #6

• Brian Quinter
  • Gold Carver
  • Thank you received: 11
  • Honor Medal 2015
Plasma is on my wishlist

CNC plasma cutters are fun! 22 Nov 2017 14:04 #7

• Jason test acct
  • Fresh Carver
  • test account
Cool stuff Dan, just wow!
Time to create page: 1.357 seconds