Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: There ought to be a law :)

There ought to be a law :) 11 Mar 2016 01:26 #1

• Dan Sawatzky
  • Platinum Carver
  • Thank you received: 44
  • Honor Medal 2015
I believe Jim Dawson has mentioned the 2016 Sign Challenge Invitational that is happening at the International Sign Association Expo in a few weeks. Twenty sign makers from around the world were invited to participate.... fourteen answered the challenge.

I did one piece a while back... then had second thoughts - and a better idea. The new piece is now almost complete. Here's the story and a peek.

Many, many years ago I was fortunate enough to be at a gathering of passionate sign makers from around the world. The meet was called LETTERHEADS. They gathered to exchange ideas and techniques. Out in the parking lot one of the vehicles sported a decal on the door. It identified the car as SIGN POLICE. I learned that the car was owned by my good friend Cosmic Ray, from Winnipeg. The logo had been designed by another good friend, David Butler from Indiana. The story was that they 'ticketed' badly designed signs in their travels. It was all a spoof of course and done in good fun but everyone knew how they truly felt about badly designed signs they saw.

That logo by David Butler inspired my 2016 Sign Challenge piece. Bad design still abounds and sometimes it is so prevalent that a simple ticket would not be nearly enough. The SIGN POLICE SWAT TEAM needs to be called in to take care of things. If you look close at the pictures you will see fragments of a sign board under the right track of the Vehicle. The tank commanders satisfied smile sums things up nicely.
Attachments:
Dan Sawatzky
Sawatzky's Imagination Corporation
Yarrow, British Columbia, Canada

www.imaginationcorporation.com

Being a grampa is the most wonderful thing!

There ought to be a law :) 11 Mar 2016 15:12 #2

• James Dawson
  • Platinum Carver
  • Thank you received: 54
  • Honor Medal 2015
great stuff Dan....

There ought to be a law :) 12 Mar 2016 22:48 #3

• Dan Sawatzky
  • Platinum Carver
  • Honor Medal 2015
Thanks Jim. I finished painting the piece today. It sure was fun to do! I am really looking forward to seeing all of the entries in one place at the ISA show in Orlando!
Attachments:
Dan Sawatzky

There ought to be a law :) 13 Mar 2016 08:36 #4

• Mike Schnorr
  • Gold Carver
  • Thank you received: 9
  • Honor Medal 2015
Outstanding paint job Dan! I really enjoy your work!

Mike :y32b4:

There ought to be a law :) 15 Mar 2016 07:25 #5

• Bob Stephens
  • Gold Carver
  • Thank you received: 50
  • Honor Medal 2015
What an awesome piece Dan. You've become the Michelangelo of sculpting in the modern age, but instead of bronze or marble, HDU!
Great imagination!

There ought to be a law :) 15 Mar 2016 19:36 #6

• Dan Sawatzky
  • Platinum Carver
  • Honor Medal 2015
Hardly Michelangelo, but we do have fun! My son, Peter, also our new business partner has also done a piece for the Sign Challenge competition. He tackled the piece as a chance to learn the ins and outs of EnRoute and to learn to use the MultiCam CNC router and plasma cutter. It was his first project with the software and machines. Looking at the piece you will see he is a quick study.... move over dad!!!! :)

Now imagine seeing ten such pieces, by some of the best sign makers on the planet all in a row at ISA... I can hardly wait!!!
Attachments:
Dan Sawatzky

There ought to be a law :) 16 Mar 2016 08:09 #7

• Michael Tyler
  • Fresh Carver
Beautiful and creative! Excellent work! I love the 'grungy' look.
Time to create page: 0.841 seconds

Please Visit and Support Our Amazing Sponsors