Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Artificial gold leafing

Artificial gold leafing 27 Jan 2016 10:25 #1

• Steve Waldroop
  • Fresh Carver
  • Thank you received: 1
Hello, I am new to the forum. My work primarily has to do with routed natural wood signs. I've been routing for about 35 years.
The question I have is that I would like to do some letter gilding. I've never dealt with it but currently doing a big job on cypress wood blank that has been stained with minwax.
I understand they make an oil based primer? I stain for two reasons, to protect wood and to apply enamel paint on my lettering. Anyway would love some input
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jason Jones

Artificial gold leafing 27 Jan 2016 18:49 #2

• Jason Jones
  • Admin
  • Floors & Latrine
  • Thank you received: 33
Wish I could help, but we're about to tackle our first big gild job here. I know there are at least a few guys around that know what they are doing though,,,

Artificial gold leafing 28 Jan 2016 05:17 #3

• Steve Waldroop
  • Fresh Carver
Appreciate your response

Artificial gold leafing 28 Jan 2016 07:45 #4

• Phillip Newell
  • Gold Carver
  • Thank you received: 12
  • Honor Medal 2015
Hey Steve

I'm by no means an expert, I'm just getting started using leaf as well, but I'll try to help.

I'm assuming when you say primer, you're referring to size, the adhesive used for the leaf? If so, yes, it absolutely comes in oil based.

You can get everything you need here: www.wbgoldleaf.com/

I will say, I've played with artificial leaf, and wasn't thrilled with it. From what I hear, the real stuff is easier to work with, and just looks better in the end.
Phillip Newell

Freelance Sign Design
[url=http://www.signamigo.com:1t2xqp19]www.signamigo.com[/url]

www.facebook.com/amigosignco

Artificial gold leafing 28 Jan 2016 08:01 #5

• Bob Stephens
  • Gold Carver
  • Thank you received: 50
  • Honor Medal 2015
Timing is critical to getting a good brilliant gild. The size that you use can be either fast size with a smaller window of working time, or slow size with a large window of optimal tack time. My preference for large coverage especially. If you gild too soon, the gold will drown and become dull. If you wait too long and miss your window, the gold will not adhere to the size. Also, the thinner your size the better the gild, especially if you plan on engine turning your gold. If the size is not completely cured, when you burnish your gold you can burn into the size and that will ruin it also.

Get yourself a good book on gilding and learn the proper way. LeBlanc's gold leaf techniques is what I learned from forty years ago. That and a lot of trial and error. But gold ain't cheap, so go slow.

Artificial gold leafing 28 Jan 2016 09:30 #6

• Mark Summers
  • Platinum Carver
  • Thank you received: 14
  • Honor Medal 2015
Steve,
Maybe it would help if you showed us the design you are going after. You say Artificial Gold Leafing?
Not exactly sure what that means to you. Yes there is artificial leaf out there but I don't think I would
use it. I think what you really need to go after is a gold metallic paint. There are a couple out there
Ronan Aqua Leaf and Modern Masters www.modernmasters.com/products.asp?mode=category&bid=2
should do it for you. If you have not done surface leafing maybe this is not the time to try it on your
first project. You should first experiment. Surface leafing is really painfully simple but you really should
get up to speed on it first all the same. Questions?
Note: The two paints mentioned above are water base so you need to take that into account if you are
doing oil base also.
Mark Summers
The Sign Shoppe of Summit County
Frisco, CO.
www.SignShoppe.co
Senior Client Executive/ Brush Cleanup Boy

Artificial gold leafing 29 Jan 2016 05:03 #7

• Steve Waldroop
  • Fresh Carver
Thanks a lot, Good info

Artificial gold leafing 29 Jan 2016 05:13 #8

• Steve Waldroop
  • Fresh Carver
Well apparently my picture file is too big !

Artificial gold leafing 29 Jan 2016 06:01 #9

• Steve Waldroop
  • Fresh Carver
Thanks alot

Artificial gold leafing 29 Jan 2016 06:04 #10

• Steve Waldroop
  • Fresh Carver
Iam going to tey loading a pic for you to view

Artificial gold leafing 29 Jan 2016 13:33 #11

• Jason Jones
  • Admin
  • Floors & Latrine
  • Thank you received: 33
Steve Waldroop wrote:
Iam going to tey loading a pic for you to view

Hi Steve, please try first to compress or downsize your photo with something like MS paint (free), I use Google Picasa (also free). If the internet were filled with original sized photos, it would run like molasses.

Some website will compress the photo as you upload automatically, many modern sites like facebook, ebay, twitter and the like. I guess we aren`t that fancy yet, maybe I will look into it though!

Artificial gold leafing 15 Apr 2016 10:47 #12

• Jean Shimp
  • Fresh Carver
I am working with some artificial leaf right now. I am assuming you are referring to an actual leaf product that looks like real gold but is actually a foil - not real gold. If this is what you are using I was under the impression that it could not be used outdoors or it will tarnish quickly. There is a world of difference between this product and real gold leaf. For one, it is much heavier than gold. I am picking it up with my fingers instead of a gilders tip. It doesn't seems to smooth out after it's gilded like real gold either - it has a lot of wrinkles in it. As mentioned before, get the book on Golf Leaf Techniques. The original author is LeBlanc but there is an updated version by Kent Smith.

Artificial gold leafing 15 Apr 2016 11:41 #13

• Mark Summers
  • Platinum Carver
  • Thank you received: 14
  • Honor Medal 2015
Not familiar with what exactly Jean is using but as with real gold, or a gold paint version
they will not tarnish. What is the leaf you are using Jean?
Mark Summers
The Sign Shoppe of Summit County
Frisco, CO.
www.SignShoppe.co
Senior Client Executive/ Brush Cleanup Boy

Artificial gold leafing 15 Apr 2016 14:00 #14

• Brian Quinter
  • Gold Carver
  • Thank you received: 11
  • Honor Medal 2015
I just finished a project for myself and used paint for my letters
My New Shop Sign Post
This was paint from Nova Colors The color was Sun Pearl

Artificial gold leafing 16 Apr 2016 14:11 #15

• Jean Shimp
  • Fresh Carver
The gold I am referring to is often known as "Dutch Gold". The sheet size is 5.5" x 5.5" as opposed to real gold which is 3.25" square. A book of Dutch gold will run around $15 whereas real gold will run over $50 per book.
Time to create page: 0.801 seconds

Please Visit and Support Our Amazing Sponsors