Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: My old hand painted, sandblasted stuff in the days before compute

My old hand painted, sandblasted stuff in the days before compute 21 Oct 2015 15:21 #1

• Bob Stephens
  • Gold Carver
  • Thank you received: 50
  • Honor Medal 2015
Started with paint, brush, chisels.
Attachments:

My old hand painted, sandblasted stuff in the days before compute 21 Oct 2015 16:22 #2

• Alex Naumenko
  • Gold Carver
  • Thank you received: 9
  • Honor Medal 2015
Hey Bob. How are you?
My Shop My Rules. No exceptions.

My old hand painted, sandblasted stuff in the days before compute 21 Oct 2015 16:30 #3

• Bob Stephens
  • Gold Carver
  • Honor Medal 2015
LOL...still alive and kicking here in the hills Alex. Staying busy. Hope all is well with you on your end.

My old hand painted, sandblasted stuff in the days before compute 22 Oct 2015 09:18 #4

• John Miller
  • Platinum Carver
  • Thank you received: 61
  • Honor Medal 2015
Nice Bob, I love to see the old stuff done in BC... (before computers)
Someday every things gonna be different... When I paint my masterpiece

My old hand painted, sandblasted stuff in the days before compute 23 Oct 2015 08:11 #5

• Mike Schnorr
  • Gold Carver
  • Thank you received: 9
  • Honor Medal 2015
Thanks for sharing those Bob! It's fun to look back and see what we did (and could still do) without computerized equipment!

Mike

My old hand painted, sandblasted stuff in the days before compute 23 Oct 2015 08:49 #6

• Mark Summers
  • Platinum Carver
  • Thank you received: 14
  • Honor Medal 2015
Some great looking work Bob. This is the perfect example of how reliant (and lazy) we
have become with our automatic machine that require us to press a button.
Wonder who will have work when the machines go down?
Mark Summers
The Sign Shoppe of Summit County
Frisco, CO.
www.SignShoppe.co
Senior Client Executive/ Brush Cleanup Boy

My old hand painted, sandblasted stuff in the days before compute 23 Oct 2015 12:56 #7

• Bob Stephens
  • Gold Carver
  • Honor Medal 2015
Well just in case the machines go down, I have all my paint and brushes still Mark :) Checked out your website and I see you started about the same year as I did. Makes us both a pair of old gits !!!

My old hand painted, sandblasted stuff in the days before compute 23 Oct 2015 13:20 #8

• Mark Summers
  • Platinum Carver
  • Honor Medal 2015
Hard to imagine all these years have gone by and by. Stay healthy and drink good
micro-brews. Is it Friday yet?
Mark Summers
Frisco, CO.
www.SignShoppe.co

My old hand painted, sandblasted stuff in the days before compute 26 Oct 2015 10:44 #9

• Mark Summers
  • Platinum Carver
  • Honor Medal 2015
Here is what you can (still) do without a computer. From Signs of the Times.
Never really liked the prismatic letters that are computer generated. Actually
avoid it. They just look bad.
www.nxtbook.com/nxtbooks/STMG/sott_201511/#/26

Here is what I mean with a computer produced prismatic. Same letter 1.25" base
on the modeling. No comparison in the looks.

Mark Summers
Frisco, CO.
www.SignShoppe.co

My old hand painted, sandblasted stuff in the days before compute 26 Oct 2015 12:13 #10

• Bob Stephens
  • Gold Carver
  • Honor Medal 2015
Mark I completely agree with you regarding machined prismatic versus hand carved correctly. But it's been my experience that they typical customer has no clue when it comes to the available techniques we can offer, i.e. carving details, finishes, substrates, kerning, fonts, etc. If you're lucky, today's clients only care that it looks pretty. So I have always placed all of my energy and talent into the design.

After that, I only want to concentrate on the fastest production methods possible. Time is money, and although I like to think I'm selling art and talent, I'm more about the business side and number of zeros on the end of the check. I have seen too many starving artist suffer, and know mediocre business people make money hand over fist.

It's all about finding the right balance between the two. I admit that I am jaded having made tens of thousands of signs over my career and I hate to admit it, but I rarely get excited about what I do anymore. If it wasn't for the fact that I just love design, I'd get the hell out of the sign business. All these years have made me cynical I guess. But....I am happy to know that I can still make a beautiful sign without the technology if I had to. But I don't miss doing it the old school way.

My old hand painted, sandblasted stuff in the days before compute 26 Oct 2015 13:03 #11

• Bob Stephens
  • Gold Carver
  • Honor Medal 2015
Even though I could have routed this in Aspire, I got the bug to hand carve this portion on a sign. I did it on Thanksgiving day last year because we were closed and I didn't want to be disturbed. My back ached like hell but it was good to see I didn't forget how to use my chisels!
Attachments:

My old hand painted, sandblasted stuff in the days before compute 26 Oct 2015 13:41 #12

• Mark Summers
  • Platinum Carver
  • Honor Medal 2015
I can really appreciate what you are saying Bob. Turning out work as fast as possible
rules the days most the time. Guess what keeps me fresh and alive is fine art
painting incorporated in my work. It's what changes everything from just turning
out a widget. I'm still get pumped up when I'm painting.

In days gone by you would have just picked up the chisels and gone to it. Now it
the choice of how can my computer make it happen for me. Try to imagine yourself
doing that sign in wood with chisels. The thought is pretty far removed in today's
world of buttons.

I take a look at all the HDU we use today and we turn out all this fresh new looking
stuff that really does not do that much for me. Since HDU came onto the scene
it has really changed how we do things and sometimes not for the better.

This picture of a church sign in New Mexico really is something that is anti-
computer all the way. Sure would like to meet this craftsman.

Mark Summers
Frisco, CO.
www.SignShoppe.co

My old hand painted, sandblasted stuff in the days before compute 26 Oct 2015 15:32 #13

• Bob Stephens
  • Gold Carver
  • Honor Medal 2015
That's old world craftsmanship at it's finest. I'll always admire those willing to put that much heart and soul into their work and it really shows. It seems that the only place I see examples of this level and quality are countries outside the U.S. India, Italy, South America. Imagine what work like this would costs at the rates charged here in America? I bet your example was produced for pennies an hour?

Here's a beautiful example of a sign I saw that stopped me dead in my tracks. All hand carved...
Attachments:

My old hand painted, sandblasted stuff in the days before compute 26 Oct 2015 15:45 #14

• Mark Summers
  • Platinum Carver
  • Honor Medal 2015
Mind boggling! This is a beauty. How many hours in just the finishing this must have taken.
I saw many beautiful carved church doors in Ecuador.
....now if you will excuse me I have some sticky letters to cut out. Sure hope I press the
right buttons.
Mark Summers
Frisco, CO.
www.SignShoppe.co

My old hand painted, sandblasted stuff in the days before compute 26 Oct 2015 15:49 #15

• Jason Jones
  • Admin
  • Floors & Latrine
  • Thank you received: 33
Mark Summers wrote:
Mind boggling! This is a beauty. How many hours in just the finishing this must have taken.
I saw many beautiful carved church doors in Ecuador.
....now if you will excuse me I have some sticky letters to cut out. Sure hope I press the
right buttons.

Press the right buttons, or suffer the consequences of the dreaded re-do with more button presses!
Time to create page: 0.790 seconds

Please Visit and Support Our Amazing Sponsors