Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Business Workshop

Business Workshop 21 Apr 2014 18:05 #1

• Joe Crumley
  • Platinum Carver
Sign Business Workshop

Our weekend business workshop has been set for May 17.

We will be introducing local router sign business to other sign shops. Few on going sign shops know what can be done with a CNC and have no idea how to place and order. Not to mention what the services will cost.

One of our attendees is a sign sandblast sign company while another business will discuss installation techniques and pricing. One company is expanding into dimensional signage but doesn't have any equipment for routing. Then there will be a few demonstrations and examples of what can be done with traditional materials like PVC. Lots of Fun.

Gary Beckwith will be discussing some pricing guidelines and sales techniques. That's always a treat. This will be a round-house weekend with each company bringing samples of what they do best and giving hints about pricing.

This is a business to business weekend that is long overdue. There are lots of CNC businesses who struggle finding their market, while at the same time have little experience sales, pricing and advertising.

When we announced this workshop a couple of months ago it filled up immediately. At this point we have nine people attending with two out of state. Just the right size for one on work. The price is free!

We'll be posting photo's as we go.
Joe Crumley
www.normansignco.com

Business Workshop 22 Apr 2014 10:24 #2

• Jason Jones
  • Admin
  • Floors & Latrine
  • Thank you received: 33
Looks like it will be a good time. Would love to join, though I think we may be moving that weekend, or shortly thereafter.

Business Workshop 22 Apr 2014 22:45 #3

• Dan Hammerstron
  • Platinum Carver
  • Thank you received: 23
  • Honor Medal 2015
Moving. ??? ?..Got to keep track of you, and Melissa, which way closer or further? :grin2:
The Wood Butcher

Business Workshop 23 Apr 2014 06:39 #4

• Joe Crumley
  • Platinum Carver
Regular vinyl sign shops often have the introductory Gemeni sign letters hanging on their display wall. And that's about all they have in the way of dimensional signs. It's a good start and the intro package is cheap, having several size and colors of letters. However to really get into dimensional work they need what I call the "Concept Book". This is nothing more than a nice set of photo's in a three ring binder. Putting one of these together is lots of fun even if you've never made a single 3d sign. This will be one of the topics we discuss. I still have the original one I put together when I first started up. My skills were limited back then but I had a jig saw and lots of imagination.

Without Imagination in this trade you're a Dead Duck.
Joe Crumley
www.normansignco.com

Business Workshop 24 Apr 2014 06:37 #5

• John Miller
  • Platinum Carver
  • Thank you received: 61
  • Honor Medal 2015
I wish I was closer Joe, your event sounds like a winner. I am constantly amazed how little the some sign shops in my area know about pricing and self promotion. I'm sure the attendees, no matter how business savvy they are will all leave with some valuable information.
Someday every things gonna be different... When I paint my masterpiece

Business Workshop 24 Apr 2014 08:26 #6

• Joe Crumley
  • Platinum Carver
John,

You would be welcome to come and I know you'd make a good contribution to the group.

I'm a little taken back by the interest from those I have contacted. It appears that most sign shops are little islands to themselves and eager to find out more about the markets and prices. This topic should be part of more workshop. In the future, every couple of months, we'll meet again by inviting a whole new group of sign owners.

This one is for the local area although I've had several people interested in attending from out of state. That may happen in the future.

Thanks for the reply.
Joe Crumley
www.normansignco.com

Business Workshop 24 Apr 2014 16:08 #7

• Brian Quinter
  • Gold Carver
  • Thank you received: 11
  • Honor Medal 2015
"Joe Crumley"
Regular vinyl sign shops often have the introductory Gemeni sign letters hanging on their display wall. And that's about all they have in the way of dimensional signs. It's a good start and the intro package is cheap, having several size and colors of letters. However to really get into dimensional work they need what I call the "Concept Book". This is nothing more than a nice set of photo's in a three ring binder. Putting one of these together is lots of fun even if you've never made a single 3d sign. This will be one of the topics we discuss. I still have the original one I put together when I first started up. My skills were limited back then but I had a jig saw and lots of imagination.

Without Imagination in this trade you're a Dead Duck.

Joe, what I've done was add a flat screen tv to the wall behind my counter and run a slide-show of my work. It's the best thing I've ever done when talking with a client that walks in. I'll add a pic of it.

When I meet with clients I have pics saved on my tablet that I can find the folder of the types of signs in question and show them, zoom in of features, works great. In the shop, I have an office setup to meet with clients, I can show images on the computer there. When I'm doing email communications share access to my Flickr account where I have sets of images of different sign types. Works great.
Here is my link to a general portfolio https://www.flickr.com/photos/quintcreative/sets/72157636631559555/

All of these methods are easy to update, and easy to tweak them for a meeting
Attachments:

Business Workshop 12 May 2014 19:00 #8

• Joe Crumley
  • Platinum Carver
We're looking forward to kicking off the first of the Business Workshops this Friday. I've contacted everyone with requests and suggestions about what would be best for them to bring and most helpful for their classmates. Those attending come different sign backgrounds and will be showing how their business runs.

We'll also have a couple of workshop demo's. I'll be putting a couple options on the table. Should be fun.

Photo's to follow.

Joe
Joe Crumley
www.normansignco.com

Business Workshop 15 May 2014 07:00 #9

• Joe Crumley
  • Platinum Carver
For sign shops the future advertising will probably depend on the internet, which means having a good website. A few years back when I purchased my first website I didn't think it would ever pay off. Today that's my best and cheapest way. Today it's my only advertising expense. We'll be looking at examples of outstanding websites and discuss the prices and methods to build a good one

Another topic to be covered is a "Concept Portfolio". When I started my business I didn't have a portfolio but needed something to show prospective customers. So, I've gathered photo's from magazines and books of outstanding, beautiful signs that have been made by artists. I made sure the names of the artist are posted next to the picture. The purpose is to show idea's, shapes, materials, colors and letter styles to be considered. It was a good idea then and even better today. No one artist could come up with all those possibilities. It's much like gals when they go to a beauty shop and see hair styles, in a book, to choose from. It's a wonderful technique and works like a dream. Be sure to let the client know that the collection the photo's aren't your signs. They don't care a whit. It's the end product they care about. I may build another concept portfolio using some of those old examples.

Pricing is always on the top of the list. We'll have the opportunity to discuss prices as well as product costs. It's always a fun discussion and worthy of the time spent.
Joe Crumley
www.normansignco.com

Business Workshop 15 May 2014 20:57 #10

• John Miller
  • Platinum Carver
  • Thank you received: 61
  • Honor Medal 2015
Pricing is always on the top of the list. We'll have the opportunity to discuss prices as well as product costs. It's always a fun discussion and worthy of the time spent.

I wish I was closer to OK Joe I'd love to attend. Pricing is a pet peeve of mine, when sign companies don't charge properly they do an injustice
Someday every things gonna be different... When I paint my masterpiece
Time to create page: 0.759 seconds

Please Visit and Support Our Amazing Sponsors