Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Pre-CNC carving

Pre-CNC carving 18 Jan 2014 16:24 #1

• Mike Schnorr
  • Gold Carver
  • Thank you received: 9
  • Honor Medal 2015
I made this Luther Rose for a church in New Orleans to celebrate the 3 year rebuilding of a pipe organ. (Unfortunately, Katrina hit them shortly after they put this sign up...)

[attach=1]

More info at:

http://www.artcentergraphics.com/NewOrleans.htm

For you guys just starting out who can't afford all the bells and whistles, you can still do 3D signs!
Attachments:

Pre-CNC carving 18 Jan 2014 17:43 #2

• Mike Schnorr
  • Gold Carver
  • Honor Medal 2015
This sign was done almost 22 years ago:

[attach=1]

This was State-of-the-Art technology for a while in my shop:

[attach=2]

I originally called this the Foam Project because I was planning to cut it in foam for an outside application but when they saw it, they asked if they could have it in wood so it ended up being carved again in clear pine. The duplicarver was really only good for roughing stuff out. There were still plenty of hours of handcarving to finish this piece up. Most of this was done with a No. 11 Xacto knife...

[attach=3]

http://www.artcentergraphics.com/foam8.htm
Attachments:

Pre-CNC carving 19 Jan 2014 10:34 #3

• Phillip Newell
  • Gold Carver
  • Thank you received: 12
  • Honor Medal 2015
Wow Mike. That's some serious talent. How do you even begin to learn something like that?

I've often wondered if illustration skills are necessary to make nice dimensional pieces. Dan Swatzky does some tremendous work too, but always starts out with great illustrations. Since I'm not much of an illustrator, I've hesitated to try my hand at carving.
Phillip Newell

Freelance Sign Design
[url=http://www.signamigo.com:1t2xqp19]www.signamigo.com[/url]

www.facebook.com/amigosignco

Pre-CNC carving 19 Jan 2014 14:20 #4

• Mike Schnorr
  • Gold Carver
  • Honor Medal 2015
Phillip,

I've seen your website! You have tons of talent! Let's talk about ways to get you started with carving. I started out with pretty basic tools - stuff you probably already have.
How are your modeling skills? Have you ever worked with clay? It's an easy and fast way to get a feel for 3D without wasting any expensive substrate. The best part about clay is that when you are done, just mash it up and use it again for something else.
Sign foam works real good with hand tools so go online and get some sample product and use it to practice on. Sign supply people are always sending me sample stuff to try out in hopes that I will buy their product.

Mike

Pre-CNC carving 20 Jan 2014 08:42 #5

• Joe Crumley
  • Platinum Carver
Mike,

Congratulations on both of your signs.

The floral is beautiful and shows lots of talent. Work like this requires handwork and you've done an outstanding job with that. The advice you give Phillip is correct. Drawing for most of us is the most efficient method to workout design errors. However clay is also a good method. Clay, which is an addative process if loads of fun.

Keep showing your work.

Joe
Joe Crumley
www.normansignco.com

Pre-CNC carving 20 Jan 2014 21:38 #6

• Jeff Johnson
  • Platinum Carver
  • Thank you received: 1
Nice signs. Truly handmade ! How long did it take to model in clay, and duplicate in wood both?

Pre-CNC carving 22 Jan 2014 08:23 #7

• Mike Schnorr
  • Gold Carver
  • Honor Medal 2015
Thank you Joe! I appreciate your kind words!

One more old sign and then I'll get back to the present. I had linked the wrong picture on the first post at the top. This is the sign that was done way back when...[attach=1]

And some 12x12x1 pine signs for another church in Ogden, NC
Attachments:

Pre-CNC carving 22 Jan 2014 08:35 #8

• Mike Schnorr
  • Gold Carver
  • Honor Medal 2015
Jeff,

I used foam to model the sign you see on the duplicarver. I was playing to see how foam worked so I probably spent way too much time on that one - especially since I was going to copy it anyway. I probably spent about 4 hours roughing it out in pine - but rough is the word to remember here! I'm guessing I spent several weeks finishing it after that. I went to automotive clay after that since it works so much faster. I can model something in less than an hour if there isn't too much detail. I put saran wrap over the clay when I traced it in the duplicarver to keep the sawdust out of the clay so I could reuse it. I'm still using the case of clay I bought 10 or 15 years ago. I no longer use clay for making models for carving but it makes great forms that I can put papier mache over. I did these kudo horns for a set of a play about Ernest Hemingway using that process.
Attachments:

Pre-CNC carving 23 Jan 2014 20:49 #9

• Joe Crumley
  • Platinum Carver
Man, I love this stuff.

Down here my next door neighbor is also a sculptor doing this kind of work. It's fun to bounce over to see what he's doing. All his stuff is cast in bronze. I'll post a few pix in a day or so.

Joe Crumley
Joe Crumley
www.normansignco.com

Pre-CNC carving 24 Jan 2014 07:04 #10

• Mike Schnorr
  • Gold Carver
  • Honor Medal 2015
I look forward to seeing them, Joe! I did some casting in college (got to cast some of my stuff for free by working at the forge on weekends) but haven't thought about it for a while. It the weather says as cold here as it has been, a small forge in the backyard might be a good thing - and more useful than a sauna!

Mike

Pre-CNC carving 02 Feb 2014 22:55 #11

• Melissa Jones
  • Head of Faculty
Awesome hand carving, Mike!!! What tools do you like to use for carving? Chisels or power tools?

Pre-CNC carving 02 Feb 2014 22:58 #12

• Jim Smith
  • Junior Carver
Work like this just motivates me to try harder.
I love CNC and all the challenges it brings to woodworking.
https://www.facebook.com/HeritageCarving
Time to create page: 0.610 seconds

Please Visit and Support Our Amazing Sponsors