Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: 400 lineal feet of dimensional fun!

400 lineal feet of dimensional fun! 17 Aug 2016 23:36 #1

• Dan Sawatzky
  • Platinum Carver
  • Thank you received: 44
  • Honor Medal 2015
We signed an awesome project today which will make good use of both our CNC Plasma cutter and CNC Router as well as leaving plenty of room for hand work and creative painting. We've been contracted to theme out a fifty-two lane bowling alley. It's a small part of a five year project to fully theme out the entire property and family entertainment centre.

The bottom section will be plasma cut steel to withstand stray bowling balls. The brick, rockwork plaster and wood grained beams will be hand sculpted fibreglass reinforced concrete. The shields and number plates will be routed 30 lb Precision Board. The tree and hill cutouts will be layered MDF with LED lighting between the layers. The leafy tree cutouts hanging in the ceiling area will be router cut dona-cona board to absorb sound.
Attachments:
Dan Sawatzky
Sawatzky's Imagination Corporation
Yarrow, British Columbia, Canada

www.imaginationcorporation.com

Being a grampa is the most wonderful thing!

400 lineal feet of dimensional fun! 18 Aug 2016 11:25 #2

• Leo Voisine
  • Platinum Carver
  • Thank you received: 26
  • Honor Medal 2015
Looks like a fun project Dan.
Leo

www.leosworkshop.com
Solidworks
Aspire
2424 Larken Camtol
MAXNC
Mach3
full hobby/sign/light business shop

400 lineal feet of dimensional fun! 24 Aug 2016 06:16 #3

• Noah Mudge
  • Junior Carver
  • Thank you received: 5
Your hand renderings are always as fun as to look at as your finished products. Thanks for sharing.

400 lineal feet of dimensional fun! 25 Aug 2016 12:36 #4

• Bob Stephens
  • Gold Carver
  • Thank you received: 50
  • Honor Medal 2015
Pretty sweet Dan! Can't wait to see it come to life. Hopefully you will start a new trend in bowling alley design and create hundreds more :) Hey might as well dream big :nana:

400 lineal feet of dimensional fun! 29 Aug 2016 11:52 #5

• Joe Jones
  • Expert Carver
  • Thank you received: 3
  • Honor Medal 2015
That looks great. I wish I had come up for your last seminar class, but life got in the way.

My only concern with this design ... by cutting the bottoms with a plasma cutter (presuming plate steel) you may generate problems when people with expensive custom made bowling balls hit the steel and put a big notch in an otherwise polished ball. Perhaps a thick layer of impact absorbing rubber on the leading edges may be in order. I know ... people should keep the bowling balls IN the lanes. Well you know what happens when you mix bowling with beer and testosterone ... :woohoo:

I really like the design, but I'd put some energy into adding features that prevent damage to the balls.

400 lineal feet of dimensional fun! 30 Aug 2016 00:06 #6

• Dan Sawatzky
  • Platinum Carver
  • Thank you received: 44
  • Honor Medal 2015
Joe

I hear you but I also know stupid. We discussed this issue at length with the owner of the bowling alley and decided that protecting the facility and expensive theme work against those wild players was more important than protecting them (and their equipment against their own stupidity. We will grind a little roundness into the corners of the bottom steel work however to prevent sharp gouges in the bowling balls. :) The owner has had to replace ceiling tiles that were punched out by bowling balls and those players never offered to pay for the damage.

-grampa dan
Dan Sawatzky
Sawatzky's Imagination Corporation
Yarrow, British Columbia, Canada

www.imaginationcorporation.com

Being a grampa is the most wonderful thing!
Time to create page: 0.223 seconds

Please Visit and Support Our Amazing Sponsors