Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Shipwreck Sign

Shipwreck Sign 14 Dec 2014 09:39 #1

• Phillip Newell
  • Gold Carver
  • Thank you received: 12
  • Honor Medal 2015
This one was made using a plotted pattern, then cut out on a scroll saw. All plywood with a rust finish (Sculpt Nouveau) applied. I'm not 100% pleased with the rust color, I may play with it a bit more. But overall I'm happy with how this turned out. This is the name of a shipwreck from the 1800's of the coast of my hometown, Grand Haven, MI.
Attachments:
Phillip Newell

Freelance Sign Design
[url=http://www.signamigo.com:1t2xqp19]www.signamigo.com[/url]

www.facebook.com/amigosignco

Shipwreck Sign 14 Dec 2014 10:51 #2

• Gene Uselman
  • Platinum Carver
  • Creative Retiree
  • Thank you received: 38
  • Honor Medal 2015
Very nice- we have been experimenting with SN iron paint and patina as well- neat stuff. When I saw Ironsides I immediately thought of
the Constitution which we have seen in Boston of course and found this website for anyone interested. Gene

michiganshipwrecks.org/shipwrecks-2/shipwreck-categories/shipwrecks-found/ironsides

Shipwreck Sign 14 Dec 2014 12:26 #3

• Leo Voisine
  • Platinum Carver
  • Thank you received: 26
  • Honor Medal 2015
Interesting.

Love the sign - even if you think it does not look good - I think it looks good.

Being that I am a New Englander living 45 minutes south of Boston my first thought of the title and the name on the sing was - NO, Old Ironsides was NOT shipwrecked. But in reality Ironsides is just a nick name for the Constitution.
Leo

www.leosworkshop.com
Solidworks
Aspire
2424 Larken Camtol
MAXNC
Mach3
full hobby/sign/light business shop

Shipwreck Sign 14 Dec 2014 20:07 #4

• Viktor Zsigrai
  • Platinum Carver
  • Thank you received: 4
perfect...

for me, the rust looking very authentic... (true photo can cheat eyes)

no one can tell it made by router or by hand,,,,
but... anyone can tell it made by an expert...

im also over on the first test of sculpt nuveau... I tried the copper, and customer don't want patina.. so it looking just about red and some brown mix.. a flat color..
I tried to polish... very little result..
as much I thinking, might worth to make out of lightweight foam core and some thin copper ... for face and returns...

Shipwreck Sign 16 Dec 2014 10:14 #5

• Brian Quinter
  • Gold Carver
  • Thank you received: 11
  • Honor Medal 2015
Very cool, looks realistic

Shipwreck Sign 17 Dec 2014 06:55 #6

• John Miller
  • Platinum Carver
  • Thank you received: 61
  • Honor Medal 2015
Viktor, Have you thought about copper leaf? I did a sign with it years ago. It's a lot like gold leaf but a bit thicker. I have a bunch of it if you'd like to try it.
Someday every things gonna be different... When I paint my masterpiece

Shipwreck Sign 17 Dec 2014 07:16 #7

• Viktor Zsigrai
  • Platinum Carver
  • Thank you received: 4
thank you john

I never heard it.. it makes sense, because copper is a ""weird"" material.. somehow it cant be polished like steel..
and oxidizing very quickly..
what I made tests with sculpt nouveau.. I haven't had good result.. in my meaning.. I tried simply buffing, almost no difference ..
I sanded with 600 grit lightly by hand, then a little came up the copper.. but after putting on clear coat, it was like a solid color.. no metal looking effect..

I really like to try, because since that the customer brought ppg sample, some acrylic urethane, and that also ended with very little result..
I tried to follow the manufacturer description, but result was some ""splattering"" ...

so I started to diluting, and after a certain amount the splatter gone but metallic effect was almost nothing..

I know what the customer want, he just cant describe so well..
when I heat the polished copper by heat colors start to running on..
like autumn colors.. and that effect can be achieved with real copper or some talented painter paint the real colors of..

Shipwreck Sign 27 May 2016 00:47 #8

• Thomas perez
  • Fresh Carver
  • Thank you received: 1
wow awesome looking sign! The rust looks very authentic.

Shipwreck Sign 14 Jun 2016 13:40 #9

• Justin
  • Fresh Carver
Hey Guys,
Justin from PlateAll here. I've been following this forum for quite some time now. This is actually my first post as well. I am no sign guy, but I work with A LOT of sign companies who use our metal coatings on HDU board.

I have had a lot of customers of mine use both SN and MM coatings before using ours. Not to toot my own horn, but our products are night and day compared to both of theirs since ours is a solvent based and they use waterbase. I get our products may be a wee bit more expensive, and a little more labor intensive but the end result is truly the difference maker.

We are on the supplier list on this page, so if anyone is interested in getting their hands dirty, just shoot me a message and I will take good care of you. I can put together a sample/test package (around $150-200) so you can test/play around with etc.

Check out our website....we have a lot more pictures on our Facebook page as well. Please delete this if I am not allowed to advertise on here!!

If you do send me an e-mail, just let me know that you're from this page!

Cheers
Justin Powell
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
www.plateall.com

Shipwreck Sign 14 Jun 2016 14:04 #10

• Bob Stephens
  • Gold Carver
  • Thank you received: 50
  • Honor Medal 2015
Justin, very nice gallery examples on your site. I remember a couple of years back checking out your products. Hopefully I'll find some time this year to experiment with your products too.

Shipwreck Sign 15 Jun 2016 09:04 #11

• Justin
  • Fresh Carver
Hi Bob, when ever you have some down time and want to get your hands dirty, just shoot me an e-mail!
Attachments:

Shipwreck Sign 15 Jun 2016 12:45 #12

• Bob Stephens
  • Gold Carver
  • Thank you received: 50
  • Honor Medal 2015
Count on it!
Time to create page: 0.458 seconds

Please Visit and Support Our Amazing Sponsors