Username: Password: Remember me

Poll: Where / how did you learn

Apprentice in an established sign shop No votes 0%
Full time College art degree No votes 0%
Part time college art classes No votes 0%
Shared experiences with others 3 20%
School of Hard Knocks 10 66.7%
Some of the above 2 13.3%
Total number of voters: 8 ( Melissa Jones, Gary Malone, Neal_Meyers_Jr, Billie DeBekker, Phillip Newell ) See more
Only registered users can participate to this poll

TOPIC: Where you learned what you know about sign making

Where you learned what you know about sign making 03 Nov 2012 04:29 #1

• Michael Mezalick
  • Expert Carver
  • Thank you received: 5
  • Honor Medal 2015
As in any field of endeavor, there are those
that have been “classically “ trained ( e.g., school, apprenticeship, etc. )
and those that had been thru the school of hard knocks,
driven by the deep rooted passion for what they do.
It would be an interesting to learn from the members here what path brought them to their current level of knowledge of sign making.
I hope everyone takes the time to be included in this question.
Thanks,
Michael
3-D Modeling
Request a Quote
www.carveddetails.com

Where you learned what you know about sign making 03 Nov 2012 09:09 #2

• Kurt Rosenzweig
  • Expert Carver
Hi Mike. While I'm still what I consider a newbie I've bang my head against the wall more then once. The learning curve on the software alone is enough to keep a person up at night. When I got in my truck to drive from Cape May NJ to Orlando to pick up my Shopbot I had no idea what I was in for. I thought it would be plug and play. Here I am over a year later and I know I'm just scratching the surface of what's to come. I've had one person in my corner to help me get out of more then one dilemma and thats Brady Watson. By the way he just recommended you as a go to guy for help on an upcoming project and you will be hearing from me. He speaks very highly of you and thats all I need to know. Looking forward to meeting you. If you ever get "down the shore" give me a shout.

Where you learned what you know about sign making 03 Nov 2012 10:11 #3

• Ken Zey
  • Fresh Carver
Joe Crumley!

Where you learned what you know about sign making 03 Nov 2012 13:15 #4

• Michael Mezalick
  • Expert Carver
  • Honor Medal 2015
Hey Kurt, I'd be glad to help, just give a yell.
mezalick@nni.com
I'm in Philly and I do a fair amount of work in and around your neck of the woods.
I'll give you a call next time in your town.
Hope you made it thru Sandy okay.
Michael

"Kurt Rosenzweig"
Hi Mike. While I'm still what I consider a newbie I've bang my head against the wall more then once. The learning curve on the software alone is enough to keep a person up at night. When I got in my truck to drive from Cape May NJ to Orlando to pick up my Shopbot I had no idea what I was in for. I thought it would be plug and play. Here I am over a year later and I know I'm just scratching the surface of what's to come. I've had one person in my corner to help me get out of more then one dilemma and thats Brady Watson. By the way he just recommended you as a go to guy for help on an upcoming project and you will be hearing from me. He speaks very highly of you and thats all I need to know. Looking forward to meeting you. If you ever get "down the shore" give me a shout.
3-D Modeling
Request a Quote
www.carveddetails.com

Where you learned what you know about sign making 03 Nov 2012 13:18 #5

• Mark Summers
  • Platinum Carver
  • Thank you received: 14
  • Honor Medal 2015
In the earlier days (yes I'm that old) when one got into the sign business you were expected to
have training with a brush. Lettering skills were mandatory. Signpainters were a breed all by
themselves, and still are. I call myself a graduate of the school of 'No Parking Signs'. I have
hand lettered more no parking signs than you can imagine. When the first computerized
signmaking vinyl cutter came out the Gerber III, I said man, this is the future. I was right,
which is to the good and bad. All of this equipment has now opened up to most anyone the
ability to punch out letters. As Joe Crumley will attest, a monkey can punch out letters. A skilled
designer of signs produces something that endures with time.

The point is the whole industry has morphed with the advent of all the technology that has become
available. I have a ton of it too. It is the reason I can work solo as I do. The most recent is
the computerized router.

So when you ask where did I or we learn well there many ways to get yourself into an accomplished
sign maker and designer. I would stay with this board for one but there are a number of magazines
and books you can get. Signcraft magazine is a good one. Don't know what to tell you about the
brush skills. That is a long journey learning sign painting. There is a surprising few on this board
that really are versed as sign painters I'm guessing.
Mark Summers
The Sign Shoppe of Summit County
Frisco, CO.
www.SignShoppe.co
Senior Client Executive/ Brush Cleanup Boy

Where you learned what you know about sign making 03 Nov 2012 21:46 #6

• Melissa Jones
  • Head of Faculty
I've learned from trial and error. And of course everyone who has been on any forum that talks about sign making has learn things from Joe Crumley. Joe should be an option on the poll.

Where you learned what you know about sign making 05 Nov 2012 11:28 #7

• Leo Voisine
  • Platinum Carver
  • Thank you received: 26
  • Honor Medal 2015
I cast my vote as school of hard knocks - but truth be told - there was no category for me to vote.
Leo

www.leosworkshop.com
Solidworks
Aspire
2424 Larken Camtol
MAXNC
Mach3
full hobby/sign/light business shop

Where you learned what you know about sign making 05 Nov 2012 11:56 #8

• Jason Jones
  • Admin
  • Floors & Latrine
  • Thank you received: 32
For the techniques that work and sell, Joe Crumley via shopbot forums. Still a ton of great info there that is searchable. =45%

Next is Melissa Jones. Sometimes it takes awhile ot sink in but eventually it does and then I claim it as my idea or knowledge.

Where you learned what you know about sign making 06 Nov 2012 08:08 #9

• Ian Stewart-Koster
  • Expert Carver
School of soft, medium & hard knocks, meeting & discussing with other signwriters, Letterheads meets (VERY good!), Signcraft, assorted books, new & antique, and severe post moretems on just about every job, working out how to have improved upon it.

I came in on the industry pre computers-your brush was your life- make it or break it!
There's a lot of testing, trial & error in all that.

I have learnt to be a bit 'anal' about wanting the design to be as good as possible at communicating the message-within the parameters supplied. Years ago I used to gaze in awe at many top signs done by fellow signies, and wonder just what it as that made them look so good. Now I know it's design, built upon decades of experience.

There's a huge difference between a really effective designer, and simply a clip-art arranger. That gap can't be bridged overnight, but takes work, private research, critical analysis and study.

...amd I'm still enjoying learning!
Time to create page: 0.379 seconds

Please Visit and Support Our Amazing Sponsors