Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Introduce yourself here if you would like...

You can introduce yourself here if you would like... 02 Oct 2012 22:27 #201

• rob jones
  • Platinum Carver
welcome.
your work is awesome.
please post new sign work and tips how you did it.
thanks

You can introduce yourself here if you would like... 03 Oct 2012 06:14 #202

• Mal Smith
  • Expert Carver
Brandon - great to see someone else with a small router and looking forward to seeing what you can achieve with it!
The (budding) SignSmith
Melbourne, Australia

You can introduce yourself here if you would like... 09 Oct 2012 13:15 #203

• Paul Arbogast
  • Fresh Carver
Well, I'm new here, came to check it out as I saw a link for it elsewhere.
Attachments:
Paul

You can introduce yourself here if you would like... 09 Oct 2012 14:33 #204

• Jason Jones
  • Admin
  • Floors & Latrine
  • Thank you received: 31
Welcome Paul, looks like you are a good fit for the 3d signforum.

I really like that Lead from the Front sign. Great style and execution there..

You can introduce yourself here if you would like... 09 Oct 2012 20:32 #205

• Jason Hakki
  • Expert Carver
27 year old guy from BC here.

You can introduce yourself here if you would like... 11 Oct 2012 23:49 #206

• Melissa Jones
  • Head of Faculty
Welcome to the forum Jason! I hope you get all the answers you are looking for here. Building windmills sounds interesting, have you build many?

You can introduce yourself here if you would like... 12 Oct 2012 18:28 #207

• Jason Hakki
  • Expert Carver
Thanks Mellisa so far I've gotten a ton of great info!

As far as how many windmills have we built so far....well, none!

You can introduce yourself here if you would like... 16 Oct 2012 19:04 #208

• mike catanzaro
  • Junior Carver
Hey all,

My name is Mike Catanzaro. I'm from Cincinnati, Ohio. I'm going to be a complete newcomer to the sign world, but if I'm going to do it, it's going to be 3-D.

A little background on me..
I'm an Industrial designer by degree, but have managed to find myself in any number of odd creative positions over the years. I started out making animatronic monsters for haunted houses and amusement parks. I left that to make props and models for ad agencies and trade shows. Now I design exhibits for trade shows and museums in CAD all day. I've gotten the itch to really get back into the hands-on work. So I've finished my cnc build, and have started noodling out about half a dozen themed signs that I'm going to build for a brand new sign portfolio.

I've signed up for the 3d sign camp in May,, so I'm pretty pumped about that.

You can introduce yourself here if you would like... 18 Oct 2012 23:06 #209

• Melissa Jones
  • Head of Faculty
Welcome Mike! I think sign making isn't going to be difficult for you with all. You are welcome to post photos of your work even if it isn't a sign, it sounds like some interesting stuff. :)

You can introduce yourself here if you would like... 23 Oct 2012 23:57 #210

• David Walker
  • Fresh Carver
Hello All,

I am very new to sign making.

My story is:

I am a maintenance tech for Eaton Corporation (I work on the machines that make semi-truck transmissions). On the side I have a small woodworking shop. I have always wanted to add a CNC router to my list of machines, so back in June I built one. After building my router I purchased Vectric's V-carve Pro and out of nowhere I started making signs. Sign making is not something that I set out to do, but, through life’s twists and turns I found that it is something I enjoy. I have never considered myself artistic since I can barely draw a stick figure, however, I feel that I can learn the techniques of sign making and make wonderful signs. My goal is that soon my dream of running my woodworking business full time will come true. I am going to post some pictures and a link to my Etsy page for all to see. ALL CRITCISM IS WELCOME - Both Negative and Positive. I am in a major learning curve here and want to know what I am doing right and wrong.

Thanks to all.
I look forward to meeting everyone.

-David

www.sawdustexplosion.etsy.com
Attachments:
Wood Rocks ;)

You can introduce yourself here if you would like... 24 Oct 2012 03:13 #211

• Rodger MacMunn
  • Platinum Carver
Welcome David.
T.R.

You can introduce yourself here if you would like... 24 Oct 2012 12:06 #212

• Neal Schlee
  • Fresh Carver
Hello all,

Neal Schlee here.

You can introduce yourself here if you would like... 24 Oct 2012 19:47 #213

• rob jones
  • Platinum Carver
neal,
welcome.

You can introduce yourself here if you would like... 25 Oct 2012 14:28 #214

• Dave Rosenbleeth
  • Gold Carver
It occured to me that I never posted about me here.
First: Don't believe the icon to the left. When it comes to signmaking I am far from a Sr. Carver!!
I'm over 60 and started working in trades as a carpenter on construction sites on the side while I was in college. I started trade work full time when I was 25 after a few years in banking work convinced me I hated it. I became a painter and paperhanger (that would be wallpaper, not bad checks!!) and after another 5 years was bored to death so went to work in a boat plant. Went from 800/week mostly cash to 4.25/hour before taxes.
Became a marine carpenter/shipwright with a lot of on-the-job training, asking dumb questions, and reading everything I could get my hands on about it and stayed at it for 25 years. I worked in plants building everything from sport fishing boats to racing boats to yachts and spent a good bit of time in a union shipyard building Alaskan Fishing Boats and Ships. I had my own shop for quite a few years doing remodel work on ships and yachts.
Got a bit old to be lugging 4 x 8 sheets of marine ply out some dock in Seattle rainstorms and took a job running a cabinet shop. I've been doing that either for other people or myself ever since and I'm working on the next stage (semi-retirement-which for me means still working 60 hours a week or so and doing it till I die).
I bought a Shopbot about 8 years ago and have been "playing" with 3-d work in Artcam Pro on the side and have made a few signs on request.
I came to this forum when it was brand new (not so long ago) to learn from the pros and help out others when I feel I can. Some of you I have known for a long time from the Shopbot forum and many of you are new to me.
As a life long worker I have had many apprentices and trainees and have learned from old pros and newbies as well. The passing around of knowledge from one craftsman to another is a great thing that this internet has made more possible than ever before and I believe we are truly blessed to have it.
As I read what others have to say I am constantly reminded of my school days when the different types of teachers and students thrown together in a classroom sometimes made learning tougher and sometimes made it fabulous. Forums are like that too.
Even though I have run plants that had some of the most sophisticated equipment imaginable I love my little Bot and the up close and personal aspect of programming and operating it.
That being said I am working hard to learn the basics of this trade, which to me is not about machining or even creating great reliefs but is more about layout, usage of fonts, dominant images, negative space, balance and color. At the same time, learning about the various sign specific materials and how to use them has been eye-opening so far and will surely continue to be.
I really appreciate the posts by all of the sign masters and journeymen here who take the time to explain their techniques to us neophytes and hope none of them go away or stay away for any reason at all. When I do get up the nerve to post some of my own attempts at design I guarentee I will not be insulted by any critique.

You can introduce yourself here if you would like... 27 Oct 2012 16:10 #215

• graham prinn
  • Expert Carver
HI folks new here, new to 3d sign building sort of, was going to start a while back but got diverted for a while now ready to get going. I,m in Deroche BC, Apparently I have a little competition not to far from me but I,m sure if you ask him he'll say I have no competition lol. also I went to get some precision board the other day and they said the quota for the Fraser valley is filled from this certain sign builder , he get's truck loads. Oh by the way I'm a much too young a Grandpa to, 4 times now,

You can introduce yourself here if you would like... 29 Oct 2012 15:13 #216

• Mal Smith
  • Expert Carver
Well this family is getting bigger by the day. Like some others I have neglected to hop onto this thread also.

I enjoy reading everyone's stories. Different backgrounds. Different plans of attack.

I made a wrong turn somewhere and presently find myself tied to full time work with a small CNC laser cutting company here in Melbourne, OZ. Along the way I have been running a small business designing and manufacturing inkjet cartridge refilling machines. Weird. One of my suppliers allowed me to come in and run their CNC router to make my weird parts.

When their factory burnt down (not my fault I promise), I was stuck and ended up purchasing a small CNC router for the sole purpose of making my own parts. I soon realised this very cool piece of technology could be used for a lot more than my boring 2D machine parts...

...and ended up on Dan Sawatzky's blog that showcased his creative signage and theme work. I liked his approach to signage as a whole, howbeit inventing his own game along with way.

I've been inspired by Joe Crumley's and other's work also. Joe recommended people read Mike Stevens writings. I'm into it. It's a nuiscence though... now whenever I'm out my eyes are drawn to negative space and all the dodgy signs around town.

Dan's themepark-type work would probably not fit in here in Australia; which is why I am here at this great place... hoping to glean some further knowledge from the skilled folks on this forum and one day (soon) launch my own enterprise in this corner of the globe.

Which leads me to say one thing... forums can be a tricky place. A thing typed by one person can be read differently by another. It's a learning curve for everyone involved.

But, a good forum fast-tracks the sharing of knowledge and brings together like-minded people.

Jason and Melissa have done great to bring this forum this far. Their intentions are obvious and the variety of members prove the potential this forum has. I can't wait to see what can come out of it.

I realise I have posted much with just one sign to show for it, so I hope to have something else to submit soon...
The (budding) SignSmith
Melbourne, Australia

You can introduce yourself here if you would like... 31 Oct 2012 21:51 #217

• Ben McCoy
  • Fresh Carver
Hello,

I'm glad to finally join here.
Luck - When preparation meets opportunity.

You can introduce yourself here if you would like... 02 Nov 2012 21:40 #218

• Jason Jones
  • Admin
  • Floors & Latrine
Man are we ever lucky to have Mr. McCoy here!

Any projects lately? You must have put in a hundred pools this summer!

You can introduce yourself here if you would like... 03 Nov 2012 15:51 #219

• Melissa Jones
  • Head of Faculty
Welcome Ben!! I'm glad you finally joined! You will have to get to know Ed Harrall here on the forum, he is also a teacher with a CNC router in his classroom.

You can introduce yourself here if you would like... 03 Nov 2012 16:27 #220

• Joe Crumley
  • Platinum Carver
Welcome Aboard Ben,

You've found a good home here.
Joe Crumley
www.normansignco.com

You can introduce yourself here if you would like... 03 Nov 2012 23:10 #221

• Ben McCoy
  • Fresh Carver
Thanks guys!

You can introduce yourself here if you would like... 03 Nov 2012 23:57 #222

• Ben McCoy
  • Fresh Carver
Also, I would greatly be amiss if I did not introduce my staff.
Attachments:

You can introduce yourself here if you would like... 28 Nov 2012 17:09 #223

• Ron Zinger
  • Senior Carver
Hello everyone.
My name is Ron Zinger I'm 41 and I live in the Netherlands the country with the windmills and wooden shoes.(now we no longer walk on woodenshoes here lol)
I work for myself as a Carpenter, but want to try to be a sigmaker.
I am very impressed with this website.
I hope that I can learn a lot here and maybe help others someday.
My English is not great my apologies.

Ron Zinger

You can introduce yourself here if you would like... 06 Dec 2012 15:32 #224

• Jason Jones
  • Admin
  • Floors & Latrine
"Ron Zinger"
Hello everyone.
My name is Ron Zinger I'm 41 and I live in the Netherlands the country with the windmills and wooden shoes.(now we no longer walk on woodenshoes here lol)
I work for myself as a Carpenter, but want to try to be a sigmaker.
I am very impressed with this website.
I hope that I can learn a lot here and maybe help others someday.
My English is not great my apologies.

Ron Zinger

Welcome Ron! Nice that you could check in with us from the Netherlands.

Please stop back often..

You can introduce yourself here if you would like... 07 Dec 2012 17:35 #225

• Henry Barker
  • Junior Carver
Hi there,

You can introduce yourself here if you would like... 07 Dec 2012 18:11 #226

• Rodger MacMunn
  • Platinum Carver
Welcome Henry ....... I recognize you from Letterville.
T.R.

You can introduce yourself here if you would like... 08 Dec 2012 12:26 #227

• Joe Crumley
  • Platinum Carver
Welcome aboard Henry,

For those who don't know he's a true craftsman who has lots of valuable experience and knowledge to share. I learn something every time he's showing his work or posting about a process.

Please show us what you're doing.
Joe Crumley
www.normansignco.com

You can introduce yourself here if you would like... 12 Dec 2012 20:49 #228

• tim tolliver
  • Fresh Carver
my name is Tim Tolliver, I am from the southwest part of virginia. I have been a log home builder for 28 yrs. I am looking to learn . I just recently purchased a Shark Pro Plus hd cnc machine, the reason being is, I got my license with Virginia Thech and I am looking to expand with them. I have only had my license for a year and actually got them because of my intarsia designs. If I wind up asking a lot of questions it is because I need a lot of answers.
Kind Regards,
Tim

You can introduce yourself here if you would like... 13 Dec 2012 03:50 #229

• Rodger MacMunn
  • Platinum Carver
Welcome Tim.
T.R.

You can introduce yourself here if you would like... 13 Dec 2012 11:49 #230

• Henry Barker
  • Junior Carver
Thanks for the kind words Joe, you keeping OK ?

I am looking forward to going back to what I enjoyed about making signs, had up to 5 employees in last years, and its been like feeding the machine taking in all sorts of crap just to pay salaries, and have gotten tired of it. Waited a year but have finally ordered new router, which will be here end of march. Its 2100mm x 3100mm with 700mm under gantry, with rotational axis, and 3D laser scanner, plus a load of other stuff, that should fire up new interest and job opportunities although just now, there is no shortage of work.

Good to see a forum full of dimensional stuff, have enjoyed reading stuff so far, see a few familiar faces!! :)

More later,

All the best,

Henry

You can introduce yourself here if you would like... 20 Dec 2012 17:11 #231

• Jason Xuereb
  • Fresh Carver
Hey everyone,

My names Jason and I'm from Melbourne Australia. My surname originates from a small country called Malta where my parents migrated from. I'm born and bred in Australia. I co-founded a company called Mediapoint in 2006 with my younger brother Jamie. We started out in my mothers lounge room and quickly expanded to take over her whole house. We quickly were guided into our own place and we've quickly grown from there.

We started off in signage and then expanded into digital printing. I've always been fascinated with CNC Routers and dimensional work. It's not something we currently do as the main part of the business. We currently run three latex roll to roll machines, a HP Flatbed UV printer, Memjet Label printer and all the finishing equipment that goes with it.

We've got a Zund G3 Digital cutting table arriving end of January and I opted to order the routing option to do some dimensional work. I know I don't have that much in my Z-Axis but it will get me started.

I've also booked and will be travelling to 3D Sign Camp 2013 to hopefully meet some of the people here and learn from Dan, Jamie, Jody, Peter and Robert.

Currently been watching all the videos I can on Aspire and the like in my down time. I've also been playing with 3D scanning and things like Autodesk 123D.

Thanks
Jason

You can introduce yourself here if you would like... 27 Dec 2012 11:11 #232

• John Miller
  • Platinum Carver
  • Thank you received: 61
  • Honor Medal 2015
Hi all, My name is John Miller. I've been in the sign business since 1970. Although we've offered carved signage for a long time, untill very reciently, we've had a trade shop do our carving. We've had our CNC machine about 4 months and needless to say, are babes in the woods. I'm very happy to be here with all you talented people. Attached is one of our receint signs. I look forward to learning lots from you all.

Best, John
Attachments:
Someday every things gonna be different... When I paint my masterpiece

You can introduce yourself here if you would like... 27 Dec 2012 15:23 #233

• Joe Crumley
  • Platinum Carver
John

Welcome aboard. We need more fellows with your experience.

Joe
Joe Crumley
www.normansignco.com

You can introduce yourself here if you would like... 27 Dec 2012 17:04 #234

• Mal Smith
  • Expert Carver
Hi Jason. Small world - I'm currently using some stickers ordered through you guys. Say hi to Jamie from me and I hope we can hook up sometime for a coffee...
The (budding) SignSmith
Melbourne, Australia

You can introduce yourself here if you would like... 07 Jan 2013 01:51 #235

• Jason Xuereb
  • Fresh Carver
"Mal Smith"
Hi Jason. Small world - I'm currently using some stickers ordered through you guys. Say hi to Jamie from me and I hope we can hook up sometime for a coffee...

Cheers Mal, I passed that onto Jamie. Are you heading to 3D Sign Camp this year?

You can introduce yourself here if you would like... 07 Jan 2013 02:13 #236

• Mal Smith
  • Expert Carver
I'd love to but will probably be next year. Can't make it happen at the moment. Cheers.
The (budding) SignSmith
Melbourne, Australia

You can introduce yourself here if you would like... 10 Jan 2013 01:29 #237

• Grace chen
  • Fresh Carver
Hi everyone

This is grace from China. I work in a factory manufacturing cnc routers. I hope learn more here.And any questions about the cnc routers, pleasure to discuss with you. thank you.
Insist the last thing you want,then you can get the most you want.

You can introduce yourself here if you would like... 11 Feb 2013 14:11 #238

• Jason Jones
  • Admin
  • Floors & Latrine
"Grace chen"
Hi everyone

This is grace from China. I work in a factory manufacturing cnc routers. I hope learn more here.And any questions about the cnc routers, pleasure to discuss with you. thank you.

Would love to see some of your work, Grace! Welcome..

You can introduce yourself here if you would like... 20 Feb 2013 05:53 #239

• Manfred Didier
  • Fresh Carver
Hi Everybody,

my name is Manfred from Bavaria/Germany. My friend Marcus and myself run a sign-shop in the bavarian Alps. We started in 2001 and the majority of our jobs are 3D-signs. Our signs are carved by hand or CNC-routed depending on the job or the graphics. Attached you find some samples. If you like to see more of our work feel free to check out our website.
www.timbersigns.com (you can change the language to english)
It´s a great forum and i look forward to meet old and new friends.

Best wishes from Bavaria/Germany

Manfred Didier
Attachments:

You can introduce yourself here if you would like... 20 Feb 2013 07:16 #240

• rob jones
  • Platinum Carver
welcome to the forum.
your work is inspiring.
show some step by steps on a project some time.
thanks
rob
Time to create page: 1.147 seconds

Please Visit and Support Our Amazing Sponsors