Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: How long of sign can you Bond with HDU without internal support

How long of sign can you Bond with HDU without internal support 28 Sep 2017 09:27 #1

• Brian Quinter
  • Gold Carver
  • Thank you received: 11
  • Honor Medal 2015
So here is my question.
We've been doing some wholesale work on CNCed HDU signs.

How long of a sign can you bond together, 1.5" HDU, without any internal support, without having to worry about the sign busting in half while in transport or lifting and installing?

I've done some for a client around 45" x14ft bonded together and always half scared when the installers for the sign company picks them up and takes them.
Just had a job for them that was 15 ft, and I recommended having it done in panels so they didn't run the risk of it busting in half.

So they just picked up this last job and the installer seamed a little put off knowing they had to but together two panels.

So I want to put together my own guideline of up to what sizes without extra support in the sign can be made before they would need to be paneled.

How long of sign can you Bond with HDU without internal support 28 Sep 2017 13:02 #2

• Geoff Smithson
  • Expert Carver
  • Thank you received: 14
  • Honor Medal 2015
Having not done anything much longer than 8', I can't really speak from experience. I normally put some sort of support into the back, usually a full length french cleat.

I'm assuming they are single sided? What about running 1 1/2" aluminum angle across the top and bottom, that should at least keep it from breaking during transport and installation and wouldn't add too much cost or labor.
Winnipesaukee Manufacturing, Laconia, NH
Packaging, Crating, Wood and Plastic Machining, Signs, etc.
www.facebook.com/winnimfg

How long of sign can you Bond with HDU without internal support 11 Oct 2017 14:48 #3

• James Dawson
  • Platinum Carver
  • Thank you received: 54
  • Honor Medal 2015
we bury either steel or plywood in every sign we do. I'm not comfortable leaving it out unless it is very small or being mounted on something rigid.
Time to create page: 0.535 seconds

Please Visit and Support Our Amazing Sponsors