Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Let the fun begin!

Let the fun begin! 13 May 2017 00:44 #1

• Dan Sawatzky
  • Platinum Carver
  • Thank you received: 44
  • Honor Medal 2015
There's now only ten and a half months left until next year's Sign Invitational in Orlando at the ISA Sign EXPO. With that in mind I began to build my 'MARVELOUS MACHINE' this afternoon. I began with ideas of the rough sketch which I did at this year's show shortly after next year's theme was decided. I scrounged through our boneyard and gathered bits and pieces of pipe. Then I went back to my desk and began to design the plasma cutting files. As the pieces came off the plasma cutter I welded them together. This is of course but the beginning of a whole lot of fun.

I hope others are starting work on their pieces too! I challenge you to join in the fun!

Dan Sawatzky
Sawatzky's Imagination Corporation
Yarrow, British Columbia, Canada

www.imaginationcorporation.com

Being a grampa is the most wonderful thing!

Let the fun begin! 13 May 2017 08:15 #2

• Phillip Newell
  • Gold Carver
  • Thank you received: 12
  • Honor Medal 2015
Already looking good Dan!
Phillip Newell

Freelance Sign Design
[url=http://www.signamigo.com:1t2xqp19]www.signamigo.com[/url]

www.facebook.com/amigosignco

Let the fun begin! 21 May 2017 01:26 #3

• Dan Sawatzky
  • Platinum Carver
  • Honor Medal 2015
Every few days I find a little time to work on my piece for a bit.

The steam cylinder and crank assembly was a lot of fun to fabricate. I positioned and electric motor with a 100 to 1 gear reduction inside the base. This motor will drive the crankshaft via a hidden chain drive. The crank will activate the piston and also the gears. (yet to be built)

Today I designed, cut and assembled the throttle mechanism. I love building these kinds of complex rigs... it involved a little head scratching but is a lot of fun. This mechanical throttle will activate a micro switch which will in turn activate a relay which will turn on the electric motor... which will drive the steam cylinder and gears which will drive the (secret) machine

Dan Sawatzky

Let the fun begin! 01 Jun 2017 01:20 #4

• Dan Sawatzky
  • Platinum Carver
  • Honor Medal 2015
I challenge everyone here to enter this fun competition. There's still about ten months to design and build a fanciful piece.

It's not so much about winning as it is about building a great sample for your studio and having a little fun. The truth is all of us (including me) are often frustrated by clients who simply don't go the whole way and do a job as it should be done. We are thwarted by budgets and other constraints on a daily basis.

Imagine doing one project where there is no limit to what we can do. Pretty much everyone who frequents this board has a CNC machine. Most who are in this business are creative. Now put those two things together and dream up the wildest, funnest 'MARVELOUS MACHINE' you can possible image. Then start building.

I put in an average of two or three hours each week on my piece - mostly a few minutes at a time. I like to think it as stealing back minutes I would otherwise waste. I use those fun minutes as a reward to other jobs that may not be nearly as much fun.

Each day I design a part, cut something on the plasma cutter or CNC, weld something in place or do a little sculpting. Those minutes add up in a hurry. And my piece is starting to come together. Here's a picture I took this morning of the progress to date.

Join in the fun today!

-grampa dan

Dan Sawatzky

The following user(s) said Thank You: Mike Schnorr, James Dawson

Let the fun begin! 05 Jun 2017 07:52 #5

• Mike Schnorr
  • Gold Carver
  • Thank you received: 9
  • Honor Medal 2015
It's already looking amazing! I can't wait to see how you cut it in half to fit the container size requirement. I still can't figure out how you did it with last year's entry!! :unsure:
Thanks for sharing your progress Dan!

Let the fun begin! 05 Jun 2017 09:48 #6

• Dan Sawatzky
  • Platinum Carver
  • Honor Medal 2015
There are two changes to the guidelines for next year. The build envelope is the same 2' x 2' x 6' high but the piece no longer needs to be broken down to fit in the base. You can also include your name/shop name on the piece if you wish.

How's your entry coming along Mike?

-grampa dan
Dan Sawatzky

Let the fun begin! 05 Jun 2017 12:51 #7

• Mike Schnorr
  • Gold Carver
  • Honor Medal 2015
Dan,
Believe it or not, I actually emailed them this morning for a list of requirements as I couldn't find them anywhere on their website but haven't heard back yet. I don't have the portfolio to enter the contest for real but I was thinking how much fun it would be to just do a project on the side so it didn't take much to convince me to join in when you threw out the challenge to all of us...

As soon as I get the info about the "Marvelous Machine" I'll be on it!

Mike

Let the fun begin! 05 Jun 2017 13:20 #8

• Dan Sawatzky
  • Platinum Carver
  • Honor Medal 2015
The primary goal of the Sign Invitational is to get as many people as possible creating showpieces for their studio, to do something creative that they have never done previously. We have over 150 dimensional samples on display throughout our studio and shop and I strongly believe this is the main reason we get to do so many great and imaginative projects. Show it and they will come!

The 'rules' are pretty simple. The build envelope is 2' x 2' by 6' tall. The theme this year is 'MARVELOUS MACHINE. It can have moving parts and special effects. You are allowed to incorporate your own name or shop ID if you wish. To participate you will need to transport your piece to the ISA Sign EXPO in Orlando, Florida. You also need to be in attendance yourself during the event.

What do you win if you place first? Well... there is a trophy. And coverage in the sign magazines. And all the glory of course. :) It's really not about all that at all. Anyone who builds a showpiece for their studio is a winner.

In order to publicize and promote the event better we are encouraging all participants to get started early... submit concept sketches and progress photos. While some might worry about putting their ideas 'out there' before the event it actually allows others to do something different. Any materials we get from those participating will be posted online and we will be writing magazine articles through the year. The first article has already been written and submitted to SignCraft and will be in the next issue.

This is a chance to grab your 15 minutes of fame and the early birds will get much more.

-grampa dan
Dan Sawatzky

Let the fun begin! 05 Jun 2017 14:01 #9

• James Dawson
  • Platinum Carver
  • Thank you received: 54
  • Honor Medal 2015

Let the fun begin! 05 Jun 2017 14:48 #10

• Bob Stephens
  • Gold Carver
  • Thank you received: 50
  • Honor Medal 2015
We built a marvelous machine seven years ago but it wouldn't meet the requirements for size :)
A scale sized flying contraption made entirely from scrap coroplast, PVC pipe, duct tape, hot melt glue, some clothes line and a new rotax ultra light engine. Plus lots of beer and fried chicken :)

It never lifted off the ground because it ended up too heavy. Must have been the beer and chicken :)

Let the fun begin! 05 Jun 2017 14:56 #11

• Mike Schnorr
  • Gold Carver
  • Honor Medal 2015
I'm ready to go - time to get busy!!!

Thanks Dan and James

Did someone say "Steampunk"???

Here's a teapot I built back in 1974 when I was in college.

Let the fun begin! 06 Jun 2017 15:47 #12

• James Dawson
  • Platinum Carver
  • Thank you received: 54
  • Honor Medal 2015
Mike.... Now you are speaking my language!!!!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mike Schnorr
Time to create page: 0.479 seconds

Please Visit and Support Our Amazing Sponsors